Cas Gasi is a charming location to spend the Christmas and New Year festive period. The warm ambience of the house, the lush wooded estate and delightful family traditions of owners Margaret and Luis’ make this time of year seem like stepping into the pages of a picture book.
Every year Margaret makes her mother’s special Christmas cookies and this year she shares the recipe here so that all those guests who cannot be in Ibiza this season can have their own little taste of Cas Gasi at home.
Margaret’s Family Christmas Cookies
Makes 100 cookies – plenty for everyone!
10g or a package Vanilla Sugar
400g cold butter
1 egg yolk
- Place the flour on a clean surface. Put the sugar in the middle of the flour with the vanilla sugar, eggs and add the cold butter in flakes. Cut all with a knife and then knead with cold hands. Form three spheres, wrap in film and put to rest for one to two hours in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200º.
- Dust the work surface with flour and roll out the pastry in parts, about 0,5 cm thick.
- Cut out cookies in different festive forms (stars, diamonds, Christmas trees, moons etc.) and leave on the baking tray.
- Whisk the egg yolk and paint the cookies with it and decorate additionally if desired.
- Bake in the oven in the middle tray for 10 to 15 minutes.
New Years Eve brings out the last remnants of the party atmosphere for the year and celebrations abound in Ibiza. Unlike the rest of Europe, the weather in Ibiza at this time of year is almost always perfect with crisp blue skies and star filled nights.
Cas Gasi hosts a New Years dinner featuring local produce and delicacies. At midnight the huge screen in the living room is unfurled so guests can witness the iconic countdown to the 12 chimes ringing in the new year at midnight from the Plaza del Sol in Madrid. Of course, the Spanish tradition of eating 12 grapes is strictly observed.
Cas Gasi remains open all year round, and ending your old year and starting the new one with a luxurious stay is food for the soul – setting you up for a prosperous and relaxed 2016.
from the blog
© Cas Gasi 2017 Camino Viejo de San Mateu s/n, 07814 Santa Gertrudis, Ibiza, Spain. Phone: +34 971 19 77 00